These are exciting times for Hafal as our public affairs work is changing the national conversation about mental health.
An opportunity has arisen for an exceptional individual with experience, innovation and a collaborative approach to lead our busy Public Affairs team as the Director of Policy and External Affairs.
An individual who will drive political engagement and thought leadership on mental health issues. They will play a key role in engaging with policy makers, politicians, our funders and other key stakeholders to manage Hafal’s reputation, promote our services and ensure that they understand our impact and expertise.
Hafal is a Welsh mental health charity supporting those affected by serious illness in Wales. Hafal helps people recover from serious mental illness.
Hafal (meaning ‘equal’) is the principal organisation in Wales working with individuals recovering from serious mental illness and their families. We are managed by the people we support – individuals with serious mental illness and their families.
Every day our staff and volunteers provide help to over 1,500 people affected by serious mental illness: this includes schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and other diagnoses which typically involve psychosis or high levels of care, and which may require hospital treatment.
What’s our mission?
Hafal is founded on the belief that people who have direct experience of mental illness know best how services can be delivered.
Providing support across the seven local health board areas of Wales, Hafal is dedicated to empowering people with serious mental illness and their families to:
- achieve a better quality of life
- fulfil their ambitions for recovery
- fight discrimination
- enjoy equal access to health and social care, housing, income, education, and employment.
What do we do?
Hafal delivers a range of services to people with serious mental health illness including direct support and advice, support in a crisis, contact with others by phone, advocacy, support in a group setting, introductions for befriending, and employment and training projects. We also give clients a much-needed voice in the planning of mental health services.
Underpinning our services to clients, families and members is our own Recovery Programme. This Programme is based on modern principles of self-management and empowerment. It encourages clients and families to work towards recovery with the help of Hafal’s staff and other supporters by taking a more methodical approach to improving all areas of life.
As well as providing services Hafal campaigns vigorously through research, publications and media work to improve services for clients and families and to remove stigma and isolation associated with serious mental illness. Hafal is also represented on the Welsh Assembly Government’s Implementation Group which advises on implementation of the Mental Health Strategy for Wales.
To find out more about the work that we do, visit our website: www.hafal.org
Key duties & responsibilities:
- Lead the policy influencing function, working with the public affairs team to produce well-argued briefings, reports and other materials that promote the strategic approach and practical activities
- Work with the communication team to develop and deliver influencing aspects of Hafal’s services
- Work with the Events team to produce high quality, impactful events with influencers and key stakeholders, including identifying target audiences and potential events partners
- Lead the political engagement function, developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders across the policy and political arena and supporting the CEO’s and Executive Team to engage effectively with senior policy makers (ministers, special advisors, civil servants, commentators and backbenchers with relevance and influence)
- Ensure effective measurement of risk management for all policy stakeholder relations activities
- Lead political, policy and sector intelligence gathering making sure it informs Hafal’s strategic and tactical decisions including regarding appropriate sources of funding, which the organisation should bid for
- Ensure the evaluation of the programme of activities is carried out regularly
The post holder will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will develop and implement a successful public affairs strategy.
An experienced public affairs specialist with a background in policy manufacturing and extensive contacts.
A builder of relationships with key public affairs audiences to enhance Hafal’s influence, reputation and profile across Wales.
Ideally we would be looking for someone with a knowledge of marketing to develop a marketing and brand strategy for the organisation.
Working from Head Office in Swansea, the position is offering a salary of between £42,000 – £45,000.
If you want to play a leading part in shaping the future of mental health in Wales, then we would be delighted to hear from you
Initial interviews taking place on: 21st September 2018
To apply for the role, please follow the link http://www.hafal.org/vacancies/
For more information, email: Nicola.email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 10th September 2018